Front & Follow and The Gated Canal Community present:
YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE
F&F065 – DL
Released: 25th June 2021
Front & Follow and the Gated Canal Community present YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE – alternative soundtracks to a luxury apartments advert, featuring 31 artists including Field Lines Cartographer, Elizabeth Joan Kelly, Her Majesty’s Coroner for Wirral, The Leaf Library, Polypores, Hattie Cooke and many more. Why? We aren’t sure, but it all started with this video and went from there –
This project is not affiliated with Deansgate Square in any way – the video was our inspiration for this project, and for each artist’s soundtrack.
All sales from this release will go to Coffee4Craig, which provides vital support for Manchester’s homeless and people in crisis. Find out more here – coffee4craig.com
“Sharply dressed sales assistants and eagle-headed PPI enthusiasts march over freshly risen piazzas. Oxbow lakes of cement dissolve into dreamy quadrants. A Yo Sushi was there. Now it isn’t. This is where the gold is. The real gold, tucked under the receding gum-lines of once cobbled streets, stuffed into the rain-tinted domes hidden in plain view. Ignore the fringe of green that laps forever onto the city’s shores. Forget the municipal spaces, their fleshy tales creeping from beneath roller shutters and seeping from the cracks in boarded windows. And as you stride about with vertical chin, you feel a prickle inside of something sharp but unfamiliar. Like a snagged cricket jumper you begin to unravel, spooling out behind yourself as you walk ever onwards.
Find them in the Imitation Rothko Gymnasium.
Smashing it in the Imitation Rothko Gymnasium.”
1. Bone Music – Reality Will No Longer Burden You
2. Field Lines Cartographer – Consume and Prosper
3. Hattie Cooke – Groundhog Day
4. Von Heuser – Pass Through The Tear (Deansgatetohell Video Mix)
5. F-Lithium – Never Leave
6. Kepier Widow – Nothing To Regret
7. Giants of Discovery – Terror In The South Tower
8. Elizabeth Joan Kelly – The Insufferable Shame Of The Pine Nut Bulk Bin
9. Guerrilla Biscuits – Manchester, So Much To Answer For
10. Phexioenesystems – White Plasterboard Weltschmerz
11. WELTALTER – Die Hure Babylon
12. The Metamorph – The Assimilation
13. Polypores – Calm, But There’s Insects
14. TVO – The Intense Humming Of Evil
15. Rupert Lally – Stepford Home Dreams
16. Acid Wilhelm – Changing
17. Her Majesty’s Coroner For Wirral – Contemporary City Living
18. K – Visibility Report
19. The Leaf Library – Representational Space/Signal From The Tower
20. The Burning Trestle – The Agenda Set
21. Friends, Business Colleagues or Family – Find Your Epic (A New Level Of Hell)
22. Everson Poe – Societatis De Electi
23. Moray Newlands – We Live In The Sky Now
24. Nicholas Langley – The New Day, The Gated Canal
25. Apta – You Have To Be Louder
26. Megaheadphoneboy – Sponge Dean Square Gate
27. Salford Electronics – Deansgate Square (Robert Laing Mix)
28. Mark S Williamson (Spaceship) – The Sauna Must Be Booked At Least 24 Hours In Advance
29. Sun Curves – I Live in Your House
30. The Snaps Jar – Timed Soundtrack
31. Cahn Ingold Prelog – Demonsgate
Mastered by Anthony Morrow at Herhalen – herhalen.bandcamp.com
Words by Spenser Tomson.
Front & Follow explored the outer reaches of modern music with the sole, perhaps overly ambitious, aim of offering you something a little different. Front & Follow was a project of the Watson Marriage Experiment, but is currently in hibernation. Don’t tell anyone.
Gated Canal Community was dreamt up in the pub by Spenser, Justin and Becca. The name came first, and then we built stuff around it. It is how all good things are created. We play records on the radio, we write about them, and we write about other things.